So I finally got around to making my mighty yeast starter for the Rauchbier last night.
I carefully measured out the dried malt extract, the water, and the yeast nurtient.
I washed and sanitized my fermenter to make sure there were no remnants of the Saison yeast.
I boiled the wort for 15 minutes total after placing my wort chiller in the kettle.
I chilled the wort down to 65°F before I poured it into the fermentation bucket.
Everything went as planned. Everything happened as I imagined it. No surprises.
After the wort was safely in the fermentation bucket, I brought it inside my basement to pitch the yeast.
I twisted the cap off of the vial of yeast….and…it spun right out of my hands and into my fermentation bucket.
I didn’t have anything sanitized to pluck it out. Besides, the wort’s foam obscured my view. I couldn’t see the cap and I wasn’t about to go looking for it.
I decided to let it be. I put the lid on the bucket and moved it to a nice dark corner of my basement.
Let’s hope there weren’t too many nasties on the cap.