We have received this question a lot over the years, “How do I enter a homebrewing competition?” I was reluctant to put a post together that gave people instructions, tips, and/or tricks to getting their beers into homebrewing competitions.
First off, I am no “brewer of the year” winning homebrewer. Yes, my beers have won awards and I have a whole bunch of them but I don’t think I am an expert at the competition game. So, we provide this post for two reasons: 1) People asked for it and we like to give people what they want. 2) Maybe our experience with competitions will help you with yours.
And now, to the video:
These Brew Dudes Tips & Tricks
All right – here we go.
- Find a competition using the internet
- Competitions near you are best for your wallet
- They typically have a dropoff location so you don’t have to ship your beer
- Read all the competition’s rules
- Understand all the rules
- Brew a beer that fits a style that is a part of the competition
- Know the style
- Understand what it should taste like
- Brew as best you can to that style if you want to place
- Fresh beers of mine typically do better
- Freshness is not crucial for sour beers or Imperial stouts
- Pay your dues on time
- Get your beers in on time
- Save a bottle and drink it alongside your judge sheets
- Have fun
What are your tips? Let us know.