I was able to plan and execute a brew day today. This time around, it was the honey wheat ale. Here are my notes:
For the mash, I was a bit lower than my intended temperature of 152F. I mashed at 150F.
Even with the help of rice hulls, I still got a stuck sparge. I had to disturb the grain bed a few times around the bazooka tube to get the flow going again.
The boil went fine except for one boil over at the beginning.
I modified the recipe a bit. I increased the base malts (2-row and wheat malt) to 5 lbs each. I upped the honey malt to 1.5 lbs.
I used Columbus hops for bittering (60 mins) and Fuggles/Styrian Goldings for flavor (30 mins).
Chilling the wort took a long time (1.5 hrs). The air temperature was 80F and the tap water temperature was 64F. Sheesh!
The best part of this brew day was my yeast starter. I made a 1 liter starter on Thursday night. By Sunday afternoon, it had attained high krausen. I have been making smaller starters and I hadn’t seen this kind of yeast activity before. It was great.
Starting gravity was 1.060, so it was good to have an active yeast starter available.
The beer is going to be more caramel colored than straw colored, but that is the nature of the honey malt.
A couple of photos:
I will post more information as this brew progresses.